Isabgol or Psyllium Husk is a natural fiber supplement which is mainly consumed to treat constipation, and it has a number of other health benefits.
Isabgol has high laxative properties and it contains both insoluble and soluble fiber.
Important Benefits of Isabgol
- It is very good for treating constipation.
- It also helps in clearing out toxins from the body.
- It is powerful detoxifier and it also assists in improved digestion in the body.
- Isabgol supports gastrointestinal health.
- Due to it’s laxative properties, it helps lubricate the stomach as well.
- Fiber present in Isabgol helps in digestion and nutritional absorption in the body.
Other Benefits of Isabgol
- Isabgol helps build strong immunity (60 % immunity in our gut).
- It treats high BP and reduces bad cholesterol.
- It is good for the heart and pancreas.
- It lowers blood glucose.
- Helps treat IBS.
- Isabgol is antacid in nature.
- Isabgol is beneficial for ladies suffering from excessive bleeding during periods.
- It is helpful for females having white discharge issues.
Basic Facts about ISABGOL
- 1 tsp Isabgol contains roughly about 3 grams fiber that is 2 gram soluble and 1 gram insoluble fiber.
- Isabgol swells up to 10 times when added to water. It is thus a very good prebiotic and is wonderful for the gut health.
- Isabgol is low in calories.
- It also helps treat the metabolic syndrome.
Adequate dosage of ISABGOL
- Dosage of up to 7 ( 3/4 tsp) grams is considered safe.
- Average of 5-10 grams and 3 grams extra with probiotics is safe to consume.
- This roughly amounts to around 3/4 – 1 tsp for adults and 1/2 tsp for kids.
- Increase water intake in general with Isabgol.
Best time to consume it is at night or early morning.
Best Ways to Consume ISABGOL
- Isabgol with warm Water, warm milk.
- For loose motion Buttermilk, Dahi.
- Isabgol in Morning in water Smoothie, oatmeal or shakes, juice ( with small Voice over).
- For acidity and heartburn, you can mix it in clay pot water and then consume it.
- Powder full antacid, hence reduce acidity.
- As thickening agent in soup, Dal or curries.
- Add in batter while making pancakes, Cheela, kheer, or dosa.
- Add in dough of roti, baking items.
Side Effects of ISABGOL
- Excess or unchecked consumption may lead to stomach disorders
- It might also result in stomach pain and may aggravate stomach ulcers
- It should not be consumed during pregnancy
- Kidney patients should avoid consuming it
- Isabgol may interfere with use of certain medicines
- It kills appetite.