Science behind Acne / Pimple
Acne is an inflammatory disease of the skin which because of pollution and the sedimentary lifestyle is very common. Acne is caused by changes in the pilosebaceous units (skin structures consisting of a hair follicle and its associated sebaceous gland). Excessive secretion of oil from the sebaceous glands combines with the naturally occurring dead skin cells to block the hair follicles. Due to this, oil secretions build up beneath the blocked pore, providing a perfect environment for the skin bacteria acnes to multiply uncontrollably. In response, the skin inflames, producing the visible lesion or pimple.
Common causes of Acne and Pimples
- Pollution is one of the major reasons for acne. Dust clogs our pores which causes acne. This blocking of pores causes excessive secretion of sebum oil which ultimately leads to a bacterial infection.
- Hormonal Imbalance is one of the major causes of acne. The sebaceous gland is very sensitive to hormones. PCOD / PCOS, PMS, Puberty and Menopause are some of the occurrences which cause hormonal imbalance in the body leading to acne.
- Stress is the next major factor for acne. The cortisol hormone produced during stress is one of the major reasons for acne.
- There are a number of chemicals like acetol acetulan, lanosterin, sterolan, octyl etc which cause acne. One has to be extremely careful and vary about not using products containing these chemicals.
- High sugar diet spikes insulin in the body which causes acne.
- Hygiene and cleanliness plays a very important role in preventing acne / pimples. I you dont stay clean and hygienic, your chances of getting acne and pimples is much more.
- A number of chemicals which form part of anti depressants and hormonal medicines are also responsible for acne / pimples.
- Cosmetics which contain harmful chemicals listed above cause acne. Always make sure that you use good quality cosmetics. Its better not to use cosmetics at all instead of using bad quality cosmetics which affect your skin adversely.
- Imbalanced diet is the next factor causing acne and pimples. Excess of omega 6 and less quantity of omega 3 causes acne and pimples.
- Lifestyle problems like not enough sleep causes disruptions which lead to acne.
- Digestive issues like poor gut health and fatty liver may lead to acne and pimples.
Best food to reduce acne
- Vitamin A controls the acne causing gland and kills the bad bacteria. Some of the food which is rich in vitamin A is given below :-
- All yellow colour food
- All orange colour food
- All dark and leafy vegetables
- Carrots, sweet potato, kale, spinach, apricots, broccoli, butter and eggs
- Capsicum, plum, lemon, berries and bitter gourd
- Vitamin D and E. All food containing vitamin D and E are very good for acne. Vitamin D and E are fat soluble vitamins which keep the skin healthy and devoid of acne and pimples.
- Zinc should be included in adequate quantity to prevent acne. Nuts and seeds, mushrooms, whole grain, lentil and legumes are some of the food which is rich in zinc.
- Omega 3. Omega 3 is a vital food which must be included in the diet. Some of the food that contains omega 3 are flaxseeds, chia seeds, fatty fish, cod liver oil and caviar.
- Green Tea is very good for oily skin. It helps control excess oil production. However, green tea is not good for someone with dry skin.
- Including turmeric in your food is again a very idea to reduce acne and pimples.
- Food high in antioxidants like lemon, orange, guava and amla help fight acne.
- Herbs and spices should be included in the diet in a balanced manner. This ensures that your skin and pores get adequate nourishment.
- Keeping hydrated is probably the most important requirement for controlling acne and pimples.
Try and include maximum of the food discussed here in your diet on a daily basis. Do include food from all the five food groups for a balanced diet to get all the ingredients which provide nourishment to your skin.
Food to be avoided for controlling acne and pimples
Certain food which should be avoided to control acne and pimples are given below :-
- Whey protein
- Packaged fruit juices
- Omega 6 (high)
- Refined flour
- Too much of dairy products
- White sugar
- Fast food
- Excess salt
- Binge drinking
- All food with combination of fat and sugar like pastries etc
- All deep fried food
Its best to avoid this food to control acne and pimples. Eating right, getting sufficient rest and avoiding unhealthy food will surely go a long way in helping you control the acne problem. Link for certain home made remedies will be shared separately.