Perhaps the most common fruit we’ve all come across is a banana. Bananas are one of the most widely consumed fruits in the world. Eating bananas could help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of cancer and asthma. A wide variety of other health benefits are associated with this curvy yellow fruit. Apart from being high in potassium and pectin, a form of fibre, bananas are also a good source of magnesium and vitamins C and B6. The banana tree is known for its anti bacterial properties. Banana is high in anti oxidants which provide protection from free radicals, with which we come in contact every day. This article gives an insight into various health benefits of banana, it’s peel and is banana good for weight loss or weight gain.
Macro Nutrition 1 Medium size (120 grams) :
Micro Nutrition 1 Medium size (120 grams)
Potassium:09% of the RDI
Vitamin B6:33% of the RDI
Vitamin C:11% of the RDI
Magnesium:08% of the RDI
Copper:10% of the RDI
Manganese:14% of the RDI
Potato:06% of the RDI
*RDI stands for recommended daily intake
Banana for weight loss
The way you consume bananas contributes to the weight management. Bananas are loaded with carbohydrates but banana contains the good carbohydrates in the form resistant starch, the kind that supports both weight loss and weight maintenance. Banana is packed with fiber that keeps you full for longer and are low in calories.
- Banana has low glycemic index compared to other fruits
- Keeps the body full and satiated for long
- Gives sustained energy for longer periods
- Improves metabolism
- Aids in fat circulation
- Prevents water retention
How and when to eat bananas for weight loss
As compared to other fruits, banana contains slightly more calories and carbohydrates. Some ground rules while having bananas are :-
- Do not consume do many bananas together or in one day
- The perfect time to have a banana is pre or post workout as a snack. It helps boosts stamina and also in recovery
- Use bananas to tame bloating. Potassium in bananas helps reduce water retention which aids in losing weight
Banana peel / Banana Tree for weight loss
- Banana peel is very rich in minerals
- It can be had straight with a spoon
- The other way to have the peel is to make banana peel tea which aids in weight loss
- The entire banana tree is useful and can be used in a varied number of ways
- Banana leaves are anti bacterial and because of that it is used some times as a plate of food
- Banana stem and flowers can be used as vegetables
- Raw banana can also be used as a vegetable
- Since the banana tree has natural anti bacterial properties, it doesn’t need any additional pesticide or insecticide
Other health benefits of bananas
Bananas are often the fruit we resort to when we are trying to gain weight. They are high in good carbs and may help in weight gain if used correctly. The best way to have bananas is to use them in a mik shake. Bananas shakes and smoothies help you gain weight without consuming unhealthy empty calories. Apart from this bananas have a lot of other benefits as well.
- Healthy and glowing skin
- Helps with blood circulation and blood clotting
- Enhances mood
- Prevents depression
- Bananas are good for general female health
- Don’t mix banana with salt, which may harm bones. Have it with pepper or cinnamon
- Excess banana may cause constipation
- Avoid having too many banana shakes. Once or twice a week is sufficient.
- Banana are unsuitable on a low carb diet
- Bananas may cause problems for some diabetics
Who can Eat Bananas
- People with diabetes should avoid the fruit, however, banana bark can be consumed
- Depending on when, how and in what quantity you have, banana is useful for weight gain or weight loss
- Banana is a good option pre or post workout
- A lot of sportsperson use banana as pre, post or even during the games as it gives instant energy, contains sugar and potassium which quickly replenishes water loss
Banana is a extremely versatile fruit which helps in weight loss and weight gain, they are high in calories, nutrients and have appetite reducing effects. Apart from fiber and several anti oxidants banana has nutrients which help moderate blood sugar levels after meals. Banana helps you feed the friendly gut bacteria and help protect against colon cancer. It contains potassium and magnesium both of which are extremely essential for heart health. Because of potassium, bananas are beneficial for maintaining good kidney health. Eating a banana several times a week reduces the risk of kidney disease by upto fifty percent. Banana is a an excellent fuel for endurance exercise and due to their thick protective peel, bananas rarely contain any pollutants. However, like any other fruit or food banana should not be over eaten. Moderate consumption of bananas have health benefits like no other fruit.
5 thoughts on “Banana – Good for Weight Loss or Weight Gain ?”
Like!! Really appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really thank you! Keep writing.
I need to hear Food Fitness and Fun as well as all her series in English.
Which fruit best in morning with milkshak?
Hi, any seasonal fruit that is available in your region. However most of the fruits specially citrus fruits don’t go well with milk. Hence, what is important is to find best food combination.
Does the red banana too have the same nutritional value?