Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts your metabolism and thus helps you burn more calories throughout the day. When you eat breakfast you tell your body that there are plenty of calories to be had for the day. Certain benefits of eating breasfast are :-
- Lower BMI
- Better attention and memory performance
- Consumption of less fats in the day
- Higher calcium intake during the day
- Higher fibre intake during the day
- Less likely to consume unhealthy snacks during the day
Listed under is one week recipe for quick, easy to make and healthy breakfast.
Carrot overnight Oats – Monday
This can be prepared and kept on Sunday night as Monday morning is usually very hectic.
- Cut 2 carrots and put on the stove in a pan. Put 1 tbsp water and cover the pan.
- The carrots turn soft. Add ½ tbsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp coconut sugar or jaggery. Switch off the gas and keep the pan covered.
- Add 3-4 tbsp good quality quick oats along with 1 tbsp organic honey. Add dairy / soya / almond milk. Add a few drops of pure vanilla essence.
- Add 3-4 tbsp chia seeds. Clean a glass jar / bowl. Put the contents in a layered fashion in the following sequence.
Oats and milk
Raisins and Nuts
Nuts and Raisins
- The flavours will mix overnight. The jar / bowl can be kept in the refrigerator in summers and left outside in winters.
- Mix the contents next morning and enjoy a healthy and delicious breakfast.
Besan Chilla – Tuesday
2 tbsp besan is taken for 1 chilla
- Add the following ingredients to prepare the batter.
8 tbsp Besan / Chana dal powder
1/2 cup grated broccoli
1/2 cup chopped onion
Salt to taste
Black pepper powder
Dried mango powder
- Add water gradually to get the right consistency. The batter is now ready.
- Put little sprinkling of oil on the pan and spread it in a circular motion.
Use low to medium heat for cooking. Add 1/2 tbsp desi ghee (optional) or 1 tbsp peanut butter on the chilla. I like having my chillas with my home made peanut and coconut dry chatni.
Vegetable Oats – Wednesday
- Take 1/4 tbsp oil. Add the following ingredients.
Beans and Carrots
3-4 tbsp Oats (use good quality quick oats)
3/4-1 cup water
- Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add following ingredients thereafter.
1 tbsp peanut butter
Cover and switch off the heat. Your vegetable oats are ready.
Protein Breakfast Smoothie – Thrusday
- Use the following ingredients to prepare your protein smoothie.
10-12 soaked almonds
3 tbsp quick oats
3 tbsp peanut butter
10-15 gms plant protein powder
1/2 cup water for blending
- Use a mixer to mix all these ingredients. Your non milk smoothie base is nowready. Add the following ingredients thereafter.
1 tbsp organic honey
Few drops of vanilla essence
1/4 tbsp ceylon cinnamon
1 tbsp chia seeds
Add some more water. Mix all the ingredients in a mixer. Your protein breakfast smoothie is now ready.
Multigrain Chilla – Friday Serving for 2
Add the following ingredients
2 tbsp quick oats
2 tbsp chana dal flour
2 tbsp ragi flour
2 tbsp suji
1 chopped onion
Add 2-3 tbsp curd
The batter is now ready. Add the following ingredients after this.
Black pepper powder
Mix the ingredients well to ensure there are no lumps in the batter. Put little bit of oil on pan, spread the batter in a circular motion, use medium heat. The Multigrain Chilla is now ready. Have it with desi ghee (optional) and home made peanut and coconut chutney.
Vegetable Poha – Saturday
Add the following ingredients.
2 cups red poha / normal poha (rinse the poha nicely under water and keep it to a side)
Chopped seasoned vegetables
1 chopped onion and garlic
Put olive oil in a pan and add the following ingredients
Mustard seeds and dried curry leaves
Garlic and sautéed onion
Dry roast peanuts and almonds simultaneously
Potatoes and carrots
Salt to taste
Cumin powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and little bit of chilli powder
Capsicum and tomato
Now add the rinsed poha
Mix roasted nuts
Mix all ingredients and cover the pan
Add little bit of water on top of the pan. The poha is now ready. Savour it with a bit of lemon and coriander leaves.
Multigrain Parantha – Sunday
Add the following ingredients to prepare the batter.
3/4 cup chana dal atta
3/4 cup oats flour
1/2cup ragi flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
Add handful of dried fenugreek leaves and kasuri methi
Salt to taste
Add coriander powder, cumin powder and little bit of ajwain and mixed herbs
Prepare the dough. Make sure you knead the dough properly. The dough consistency should be a little more thick compared to the normal roti.
Make sure the size of paranthas is a little bigger than the normal roti. Put oil on the paranthaand not on the tawa. Use as little oil as possible. Enjoy and savour the multigrain parantha.