Onion, one of the most prominent vegetables used in every Indian Household and in almost every meal.
It needs an entire article to explain how worthy and beneficial this underrated vegetable could be!
There are mainly 3 Types of Onions: Red, White and Spring Onion.
Red onions, in particular, contain anthocyanins — special plant pigments in the flavonoid family that give red onions their deep color.
Onions Are low in calorie and Fat.
One cup (150 grams) of chopped onion contains:
- It contributes 12% of the daily requirement of vitamin C, vitamin B-6, B1, vitamin K and manganese.
- They also contain small amounts of calcium, iron, folate, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium
- They are also rich in antioxidants quercetin and Sulphur. Which makes them great food to boost Metabolism, detoxification and prevent fat build-up.
- Onions contain over 25 different varieties of flavonoid antioxidants.
- Onions are rich in Chromium, Biotin hence they are excellent for hair growth.
- Onions boost production of collagen in the body.
- Onions are also a good source of soluble fiber, prebiotics inulin and fructo-oligosaccharides, which are necessary for optimal gut health.
- Onions can increase the number of friendly bacteria in your gut and improve immune function.
A healthy gut, is crucial for weight loss and belly fat loss.
Chopping Onions produces a volatile, sulphur-rich oil that causes teary eyes. It activates the tear glands in our eyes and produces tears.
You can soak onion for 30 min if that is too much for you to handle.
Health Benefits of Adding Onion to Diet!
- It helps in preventing heat stroke in summers.
- Promotes digestive health.
- Boosts growth of healthy hair.
- Helps in detoxification of the body.
- Provides great support to immune system.
- It can help control diabetes.
- Exhibits Anti-aging properties.
- Supports bone health.
- May benefit heart health.
- Onions have also been shown to decrease cholesterol levels.
- Helps boost respiratory health.
- Helps in reducing allergies.
- Good for tooth health.
- Helps fight fungal infections.
- Reduces stress and promotes sleep.
In a study of 54 women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), it was found that consuming 40-50g of raw red onions for eight weeks reduced total and “bad” LDL cholesterol and led to Good results in Weight Loss.
Here are some tips on how to add onions to your diet:
- Use raw onions to add a kick of flavors to any Chutney recipe.
- Add caramelized onions to savoury baked goods.
- Combine cooked onions with other vegetables for a healthy side dish.
- Try adding cooked onions to egg dishes, such as omelettes, Bhurji or curry.
- Add sliced raw red onions to your favourite salad.
- Use onion as a base for stocks and soups.
- Add onions into stir-fry dishes.
- Make a homemade salsa with onions, tomatoes and fresh coriander.
- Blend raw onions with fresh herbs, vinegar and olive oil for a tasty homemade salad dressing.
- Soak onion into vinegar or sirka and have them with a meal.
- Add to fermented veggies.
- Take onion juice shots in water as Ayurvedic medicine.
Onion Ayurveda Properties
- Taste: Sweet, pungent
- Quality: Not very heavy
- Potency: Not very Cold or Hot (Mild).
- Vaat= balancing
- Kapha= aggravating
- Pitta= neutral
Tips for consuming onion.
- Combine onion and tomato: As both the ingredients are a great source of “Lycopene”, they might increase its absorption in the body.
- Don’t cook for too long.
- Cut onion thick and not very finely.
- Add onion to side dishes & salads in summers.
- Ayurveda has recognised onions as blood purifiers.
- But Ayurveda does not support their excessive usage as it considers onion as tamasic in nature (makes people irritable).
- As per Ayurveda, excessive consumption of onion produces heat in the body.
- Onions are avoided by people practicing meditation or following a spiritual path, as consumptions of onion may increase anger, aggression, anxiety, and increase in sexual desire
- Excessive consumption of Onion may cause various digestive problems, especially in people suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
This was all about this amazing ingredient which we use in everyday meals, and we were so unknown about how amazing its nutritional and health benefits are!
But, keep in mind all the points, and consume it mindfully to ensure maximum benefits.