Fennel is a widely used culinary herb and a medicinal plant. These are packed with numerous nutrients and contains a number of powerful plant compounds.
You will be glad and amazed to know that India is the largest fennel producing nation in the world.
Talking about the nutritional information Fennel seeds, so they are high in fiber, vitamin C, calcium, manganese, iron, magnesium, copper, zinc and folate.
Benefits of fennel seeds in weight loss
- Cures indigestion, reduces bloating, and cures IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
- Helps in acidity and relieving heartburn.
- Suppresses appetite.
- Increase the production of bile in the body.
- Promotes a healthy gut.
- Reduces water retention in the body.
- Helps in boosting immunity.
- Helps regulate the blood pressure.
- Reduces respiratory problems.
- Improves HB production in the body.
- It is very good for the brain.
- Boosts and strengthens bone health.
- It is very good for the skin and hair.
- Assists in better nutrient absorption in the body.
- Promotes liver health.
Fennel Seeds Benefits for Women
Fennel contains phytoestrogens and anethole. They show amazing benefits especially for women.
- Helps regulate periods.
- Helps in balancing hormones.
- Reduces menstrual cramps.
- Good during the times of menopause.
- Boosts fertility.
- Assists in good vaginal health.
- Helps increase breast milk in lactating mothers.
- Promotes good sleep.
- Boosts sexual drive.
- Prevents some forms of cancer.
- Assists in treatment of diarrhea.
- Reduces allergies.
Ayurvedic properties of Fennel Seeds
- Sweet taste, astringent.
- Cooling nature.
- Calms all three dosha.
How not to Consume Fennel Seeds?
Everybody tells what to do, but telling what not to do, what to avoid is equally important, and sometime even more significant. These are the don’t while consuming fennel seeds.
Avoid consuming raw fennel seeds.
That is because of the presence of phytic acid and its raw consumption leads to low fiber absorption in the body.
Phytic Acid exists in all the seeds. It’s often referred to as an anti-nutrient.
Phytic acid impairs the absorption of minerals like iron, zinc and calcium and may promote mineral deficiencies.
Phytic Acid can be reduced with cooking methods like:
How to consume fennel seeds for best outcomes?
- Infused water: Soak overnight and consume the water next day and chew the seeds along with.
- Slightly dry roast the seeds and consume post meal.
- Best way to enjoy the maximum benefits is to sprout fennel seeds.
- Consume it as fennel seed tea.
- Add to fermented preparation. (For e.g.: pickles)
- Make digestive ladoos: 1 cup coconut, 3-4 Tbsp fennel, jaggery and some 1-1/2 tsp ginger powder.
- Add dry roasted seeds or powder to pancakes. Tip: Don’t dry roast in large batches.
For making a Mouth freshener / Digestive mix of FENNEL SEEDS:
- Take 20 grams cardamom (elaichi), 10 grams each of nutmeg and dry ginger, 80 grams fennel seeds and 30 grams of rock sugar (mishri).
- Dry roast all ingredients except mishri.
- Grind everything together.
- Store in an airtight container.
Which one to buy and How to Store?
- Buy fennel seeds which are greener than pale.
- Store the fennel seeds away from sunlight.
- Always buy in small quantity as it has a limited shelf life (up to six months).
Important Points to Remember
- It should be consumed in moderation.
- Its consumption might interfere with birth control pills.
- Consult a doctor prior consuming it in pregnancy.
- It may interfere with antibiotics.
- People with kidney disease should consult a doctor before consuming it.
- People on medication for blood pressure should consult a doctor.
- Fennel seeds are not meant to be directly consumed by small kids.
- Fennel seeds are not a medication for breast enlargement.
Do add this amazing superfood in your diet to experience its benefits.