Potatoes are one of the most beloved foods in the world. They are an indispensable part of Indian cooking because not only they are cheap, but also easily available and can be used in versatile ways.
But most people during their weight loss journey wonder if they’re healthy?
Potatoes have got a bad reputation in the fitness world but let me tell you that they are an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals.
Nutrition in 1 POTATO
One medium cooked potato (150 grams), including the skin:
|Vitamin C||28% of the RDI|
|Vitamin B6||27 % of the RDI|
|Potassium||26 % of the RDI|
|Manganese||19 % of the RDI|
|Magnesium||12 % of the RDI|
|Phosphorus||12 % of the RDI|
|Niacin||12 % of the RDI|
|Folate||12 % of the RDI|
Benefits of Potato in Weight Loss
- Research demonstrates that people can eat potatoes and still lose weight but, there is no evidence that potatoes when prepared in a healthful manner, impede weight loss.
- Potatoes are high in antioxidants: like Chlorogenic acid. This is the main polyphenol in potatoes: catechin, and lutein.
- The fiber found in potatoes is a special type called “resistant starch,”
- Potatoes are high in Water Content: water may account for about 70-80 percent of their weight.
- They are usually low in fat.
- Makes you feel full and satisfied.
- Potatoes support exercise performance.
- Supports digestive health.
- Reduces inflammation.
- It is easy to digest.
- Potatoes in moderation don’t negatively impact blood sugar.
- Potatoes also contain a compound known as alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), which helps the body to convert glucose into energy.
Potato for Weight Loss?
- A 2014 study published in the Journal of American College of Nutrition looked at two groups of people and observed the weight loss patterns in both the groups.
- Both the groups followed a restricted calorie-diet.
- While one group continued consuming potatoes, the other group banished them from their diets.
- The researchers observed that the consumption of potatoes did not have any effect on weight loss in the group.
Other Health Benefits of Potato
- Supports Healthy Heart.
- Helps in boosting immunity.
- Helps in lowering blood pressure.
- Helps you calm down: rich with tryptophan, an amino acid with natural sedative properties that help calm the nerves.
- Promote Sleep: Tryptophan, which is naturally found in potatoes, is a natural sedative that ensures good sleep.
- Relieves Premenstrual Symptoms.
- Good for bones.
- Promotes brain health.
- Used in skin care, treats tan, and sunburn.
- Reduces eye puffiness, and dark circles.
Best ways to consume Potato for Weight Loss
- Potatoes, if baked or added to your favorite veggies, are just perfect.
- When we deep fry it in refined oil, this super veggie turns almost toxic.
- The nutritional quality of potato peels must not be ignored.
- It is always better to keep the skin on when you eat potatoes.
- While boiling Potato’s nutrients may leech into the cooking water and lose a great deal of their nutritional value, if they are peeled before boiling.
- You can also roast potatoes.
How many Potatoes in a day?
- Eating one medium-size potato a day can be part of a healthy diet.
- You can have up to 3, unless it comes within your total calorie intake
- Also, they must be prepared in a healthy way.
Side Effects of over-eating potato.
- Overeating can lead to weight gain.
- Also, potatoes as a root vegetable might be exposed to toxins.
Don’t analyze a food item on basis of mere rumors, every food has its own importance and benefits. Try to take everything in correct proportions and this will help you consume a balanced diet, and hence it will not help with weight loss and management, but also will prevent you from many diseases and will help you stay fit and lead a healthy lifestyle.