There are many reasons why we gain belly fat, including poor diet, lack of exercise and stress. Improving nutrition, increased activity, reducing stress and making simple lifestyle changes can help people lose the stubborn and unwanted belly fat. Dealing with this soft layer of squishy fat around the waist can be really annoying. It is not only incredibly difficult to get rid of but also poses serious health risks. Extra belly fat can lead to increased risk of heart diseases. In this article we have explained the categories of belly fat and different types of belly fat. What causes different types of belly fat and what are the remedies.
Categories of belly fat
- Visceral Fat.Visceral fat is a type of body fat stored within the abdominal cavity. It’s located near several vital organs, including the liver, stomach and intestines. This type of fat can also build up in the arteries. Visceral fat is sometimes also referred to as ‘active fat’ because it can actively increase the risk of serious health problems. Since this fat is actually inside the abdominal cavity, it is not easily seen. An easy way to tell if you are at risk is by measuring the waist size. If you are a women and your waist size is more than 35 inches you are at risk of heart problems. For men waist size of more than 40 inches means you are at risk. Visceral fat is often evaluated on a scale of 1 to 59 when diagnosed with body fat analysers or MRI scans. Healthy levels stay under 13. If your rating is from 13 to 59, immediate lifestyle changes are recommended.
- Subcutaneous Fat.Subcutaneous fat is the jiggly fat you see just under the skin. This fat is normally harmless and may even protect against some diseases. Everyone has some subcutaneous fat, but lifestyle factors such as diet and exercise, and genetics affect the amount of this fat.
Types of belly fat
1. Stress belly
This kind of belly is caused by Cortisol or the stress hormone. Not only does excess cortisol, increases appetite and cravings, it also causes loss of memory, muscle mass, libido and bone density.
How to reduce stress belly
- Take a break and devote time for yourself
- Relax and do things to de stress
- Make sure you get 7-8 hours of sound sleep
- Avoid eating junk or processed food
- Eat a balanced diet
- Meditation helps
- Simple exercises like brisk walking
2. Mommy belly
This is essentially a vertical gap between the front abdominal muscles. This happens after child birth and is common phenomenon. The connective tissue between the abdominal muscles can thin and weaken which can lead to a bulge in the belly. It is very important not to push yourself too soon for losing mommy belly. Every body type is different, start with simple things.
How to reduce mommy belly
- Include simple aerobic exercises in your daily routine
- Reduce refined carbs in your diet
- Add fatty fish in your diet
- Start your day with high protein breakfast
- Drink enough water
- Reduce your salt intake
- Consume soluble fiber
3. Hormonal belly
Hormonal imbalance in women can lead to hormonal belly. Apart from this it can lead to conditions like PCOD or PCOS, infertility, irregular periods. This mostly happens due to imbalance of estrogen in the body. Some hormonal medicines may also cause belly fat.
How to reduce a hormonal belly
- Consult a gynaecologist
- Do not skip exercise
- Try and not get stressed
- Control the insulin levels in your body
- Cut down on use of cosmetics
- Include maximum herbs and spices in your diet
- Eat food with high GI index
- Avoid having processed and junk food
4. Bloated belly
Belly bloating is when your belly feels swollen after having a meal. Too little fiber, fluids and physical activity can lead to constipation which invariably leads to bloating.
How to avoid bloated belly
- Be careful of indulging in food which causes bloating
- Eat slowly and in small portions
- Stay off refined or processed food
- Cut down refined oil from diet
- Don’t have too much of dairy products
- Exercise regularly
- Reduce stress in daily life
- Include anti inflammatory herbs and spices in your diet
You can resort to detox diet and cleansing diet to find out the root cause of bloating. It starts with excluding some food from the diet and slowly re introducing them again to see the effect on your body
5. Alcohol belly
Drinking too much alcohol increases belly fat in a number ways. Alcohol increases your short term appetite, causing you to eat more than you otherwise would. Alcohol also prevents your body from burning fat, the body prioritises the breakdown of alcohol over sources of fuel including stored fat. Beer contains phytoestrogens which can mimic the action of estrogen in your body.
How to reduce alcohol belly
The only to reduce alcohol belly is to control the alcohol intake in the body. Do not binge drink, avoid mixing your drinks. Not all types of alcohol would suit your body.
6. Thyroid belly
The thyroid gland when not active enough does not produce enough hormones, this is referred to as hypothyroidism. People with this condition gain weight easily and often feel fatigued. Most menopause there are eight times more chances of women being diagnosed with this disorder.
How to reduce thyroid belly Including the following food in diet boosts thyroid function
- Low fat cheese
- Cow milk and eggs
- Low fat yogurt
- Salt water fish
It’s not easy to lose fat from the belly but avoiding sugar and sugar sweetened drinks, eating more protein, cutting carbs from diet, having food rich in fiber and exercising are things which help you control your belly fat. Eat right to stay fit. Avoid unnecessary stress in your life. These simple things will sure go a long way to control your belly fat and help you lead a healthier lifestyle !!