Millet is a cereal grain of the Poaceae family, which is also known as the grass family.
Millet has grown in popularity as a gluten-free grain with high levels of protein, fiber, and antioxidants. There are several millets, all of them known for their incredible nutritional profile and health benefits.
This “Millet Smoothie” is packed with the goodness of “Barnyard Millet”.
Upma, khichdi, and pulao are all made using barnyard millets. We’re preparing a barnyard millet smoothie today since the whole grain has a high fiber level, and the millet has a high protein value, making it a great choice for people trying to lose weight or anyways as a healthy high protein drink as a snack.
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Assembling Time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 15 minutes
- Serves: 1-2
- Calories: 175 Kcal/serve
- It has a low glycemic index, making it effective for people with diabetes.
- Good for women especially, as it is high in iron.
- It is gluten-free, hence effective for people with gluten/celiac intolerance.
- Aids weight loss and management.
- Eases digestion and helps prevents constipation.
|1||Barnyard millet||¼ cup|
|3||Unsweetened Cocoa powder||2 tsp.|
|5||Chia seeds||1 tsp.|
|6||Dairy/ Plant milk||300 ml|
|7||100% Peanut butter||1 tsp.|
- Soak the barnyard millet in water for a minimum of 3 hours to a maximum of 6 hours.
- Note: Water added shall be 3 times the amount of millet added (1/4 cup barnyard millet+ ¾ cup water)
- In a pan, add water and soaked barnyard millet, and let that cook.
- Cover it with a lid in between and keep regular checks until properly cooked.
- In a blender, add milk, cooked barnyard millet, unsweetened cocoa powder, chia seeds, soft dates, and peanut butter. Pour some more milk on top of it.
- Blend it well.
- Transfer the smoothie into a serving glass jar, and top it off with some chia seeds.
- Chia seed is a great source of insoluble fiber, healthy fats, protein, and cell-protecting antioxidants.
- Peanut Butter is a rich source of protein, healthy fats, and powerful antioxidants including vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, and Vitamin B6.
- Dates are a good source of energy along with being rich in several minerals including selenium, copper, potassium, and magnesium.
- Barnyard Millet is power-packed with the goodness of dietary fiber, iron, zinc, calcium, protein, magnesium, and some essential amino acids.
- Milk has an adequate balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrate along with being rich in essential nutrients including calcium, riboflavin, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, zinc, etc.
|350 Kcal||46 g||14.6 g||14.7 g|
Count on this amazingly healthy and power-packed smoothie!