This super healthy fruit which we are going to be elaborating is super-healthy and beneficial for us, It is rich in Iron, Antioxidants & Vitamin C.
This fruit is commonly called the Indian blackberry, Java plum, or black plum.
Kala jamun is a juicy, sweet, slightly tangy fruit which has a distinct taste and is loaded with multitude of benefits.
You can find Jamun in two varieties –
- One is the white flesh variety.
- The other is the purple flesh jamun.
NOTE: The white flesh jamun comes with a higher amount of pectin, and the purple flesh variety has a lower amount.
Jamun is also considered to be an important herb in Ayurveda. Its seeds are extensively used in various Ayurveda treatments.
Jamun seeds has a compound called jambolin that helps lower blood sugar.
Kala jamun is a storehouse of antioxidants, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, B6 and flavonoids.
It also contains other nutrients like sodium, thiamine, riboflavin, carotene, fiber, niacin, folic acid, protein, and fat.
Jamun is loaded with vitamin C and iron, hence increases hemoglobin.
Nutritional value of Kala jamun or Black Plum. (per 100 g).
Health Benefits of Kala jamun.
- Jamun acts as a blood purifying agent.
- Good for heart health and BP.
- Excellent for oral health.
- Keeps infections at bay.
- Jamun increases hemoglobin.
- Helps women in regulating menstrual cycle.
- Jamun Treats Digestive Problems.
- Helps in fighting respiratory problems.
- Jamun Helps with Weight Loss.
- It improves digestion.
- It helps reduce water retention in the body.
- Jamun helps to boost the body’s metabolism, satiates hunger, and keeps you full and satisfied for a longer time.
- Jamun contains Gallic acid and ellagic acid that is known to improve metabolic dysfunction.
- It helps in detoxification.
- Keeps Skin healthy and radiant.
- Jamun are known for Diabetes Management. The ingredients like Jamboline and Jambosine present in the seeds slow down glucose levels in the blood and increase the release of insulin.
- Jamun is a powerhouse of Phytochemicals and Polyphenols.
- Jamun helps treat PCOD/PCOS.
- It is suitable for pregnant women too.
5 Simple Rules of Eating Kala jamun.
Eating to feed, and eating mindfully and in a righteous way in order to nourish the body are two very completely different things. Here are some ways, more particularly the most appropriate ways and manner to consume black plum.
- Do not eat Jamun on an empty stomach.
- Avoid eating with turmeric.
- Say no to milk with jamun.
- Keep the pickle away while consuming jamun.
- Drinking too much Jamun juice might result in diarrhea.
How to consume?
You can consume black plum in the form of juice, powder, and fruit. It can also be consumed in other forms such as vinegar, tablets, capsule and churna, all of which have a variety of medicinal properties.
How Many Jamun to Eat in a Day?
You can eat 100g of Jamun in a day without any health complications to reap its benefits.
This was everything you need to know about this amazing fruit with numerous benefits and nutritional value.