Does Biotin Supplements Help in Hair Growth or in Stopping Hair Fall?
Biotin supplements are very Hyped up and popular these days, but what is the actual reality and practicality behind it?
So we will start with the basics as usual!
What is Biotin?
Biotin is one of the B complex vitamin also called vitamin B7. It is a water soluble vitamin, which is not stored in our body, and can be consumed through the diet. Biotin is responsible to some extent for your healthy skin, hair and nails.
What is the function of Biotin ?
- Biotin is responsible for metabolism of glucose, fatty acids and amino acids in our body.
- It’s part of coenzyme function.
- It helps in synthesis & metabolism of keratin- protein that’s is responsible for healthy hair.
- Our bodies can make this vitamin from various food sources on its own.
- All you need is a healthy gut flora ( in intestine) and your body can make it in abundance.
- Also plays role in gene regulation and cells signalling.
- It also helps in maintaining normal function of nervous system.
How much do we need?
You need 30 mcg to 70 mcg of biotin on daily basis.
Causes of Biotin deficiency.
Biotin deficiency is very uncommon and rare and may be caused by—
- By birth ( genetic disorder).
- Very low carb diet.
- Poor lifestyle and excessive stress.
- Post pregnancy.
- Elderly people.
- If your have IBD.
- If you smoke and drink excessively.
Symptoms of Biotin Deficiency.
- Skin rash or dry skin.
- Brittle nails.
- Hair thinning or loss.
- Tiredness and exhaustion.
- Numbness or tingling of arms or legs.
Does Biotin supplement works ?
No big / strong scientific evidence or research paper is published yet to prove the benefits of biotin supplements in hair growth.
Most of the small studies are funded or done on very small number of people.
Possible Side Effects of Excess Biotin.
The side effects of excess Biotin are rare and uncommon as your body can extract the excess biotin through urine, however you may witness:
- More hair fall.
- Excessive thirst & urination
- It may interfere with test reports like ( test for thyroid, vitamin D, or heart test)
Best food sources for Biotin.
Mostly found in all day to day food that we eat ( per 100g serving):
|Grains like whole wheat, oats.||27mcg|
|Peanut, other nuts and nut butter||17 mcg|
|Eggs ( specially whole)||53mcg|
Some people stuck at one point, and doesn’t look for other perspectives. Just because it is hyped that biotin deficiency is the major cause of hairfall, it doesn’t means, it is the only reason.
Look into other causes of hair fall and seek therapy / Treatment accordingly:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Extreme dieting
- Autoimmune disease
- Poor hygiene, styling or treatment
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Nutritional deficiency.
Don’t take biotin if it’s not prescribed to you by your physician or dermatologist.
Be wise and careful and intelligent when it comes to feeding your body. Health is maintained bio-individually and not by following trends.